Sunday, December 12, 2010

ZOMG NEW CAMERA

Last night, I ran into Bob (NYT) and he gave me a pretty amazing Birthmas present: a Pentax K10D, my first DSLR.

I got to screw around with it last night, but so far, the only way that I've been able to get useable files off of it is by opening files in Preview and resaving them as PSDs, because for some reason, though both ImageReady and Photoshop say they can open DNGs, when I try to open these DNGs I get weird incorrect file type errors. I know that there's probably a way to save the DNGs in the camera as JPG or something, but I haven't been able to find the manual yet (the top links on google are all 404ed for the actual download).

Still, it's got a fast kit lens (18-55) on it, and once I can figure out how to go to manual focus, it'll be a lot of fun. I already took some pictures last night that I think will look pretty nice at a modest size. And I easily took over 36 shots last night, which'd be over $15 to develop and scan. I'm already ahead!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hope this doesn't mean you'll be leaving film behind.
that said, we can look at it over the holidays and use bridge to open the files.
aren't cameras fun? and this digital thing does have some nice aspects.
but don't forget how kind film has been to you, and do both (please).
hugs,
momma

deconstructo said...

film is dead. zomg digital roolz!